Welcome to the Ubuntu-Arizona Weekly Newsletter, Issue #104 for the week August 10, August 16.
* Arizona Loco Newsletter
* One Hundred Fourth Edition
* Powered by Ubuntu
* Wednesday-August 19, 2009
* Arizona Loco Team Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam
* Next meeting: Sunday August 23, 2009 9:00 PM
* Server: Freenode: IRC Channel #ubuntu-us-az
In this issue
johnc4510, began with an announcement:
"Greetings team! I hope everyone is looking forward to the installfest at the U of A on Sat. August 29th. You can find the details in the body of the newsletter below. I want to encourage all team members to attend if possible. This is a great chance to get in with the Computer Sciences Dept. at the University. They are thinking of doing this as a co-hosted event on a regular basis, which would be a real coup for our team. Of course anyone from Phoenix or any other place in the state is welcome to come to...the more the merrier!!!! If you need further help on the day of the event finding the location, I'll have my cell phone on...the number is 520-400-3040. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there and catching up face to face, or meeting some of you for the first time. See you there!! johnc4510 "
* Further announcements: Karmic Alpha 4 has been released: Pre-releases of Karmic are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent breakage. http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha4 . Another manufacturer is adding Ubuntu to it's netbook lineup. ZaReason is now offering it's Terra A20 Netbook for $349 with ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed. http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16216 . I received the two free books that our loco was entitled too. One is on Ubuntu Desktop and the other is on Ubuntu Server. I'm planning on using these as give aways at the ABLEcon in Phoenix. I've also sent for our conference pack from Ubuntu.
* Discussion on the Tucson installfest: We now have a location for the install fest: Gould-Simpson Building 9th floor atrium (http://iiewww.ccit.arizona.edu/uamap/staticLarge/77.html ). That's at 1040 East 4 Street in Tucson. We'll have access to the building from 11 am to 5 pm. The flier for the install fest is now available at http://tinyurl.com/r5bx5j in .jpg format. This is a full page flier, but may need to be adjusted to center up on your printer. A further discussion was held on the issue of parking availability and how to find where we need to go. (scott-ev has since come up with a map of potential parking lots. See http://tinyurl.com/pr75md )
* Both Phoenix Stammtische are this week: Tuesday in Tempe, Wednesday in Avondale. http://www.LuftHans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch . Phoenix Installfest is _not_ this Saturday, it's next week. The Installfest is the _last_ Saturday of the month. MCC classes start in a week. We really need students for the shell scripting and OpenOffice.org classes. The OpenOffice.org class is online, so can be taken from anywhere that has a network connection. http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes . ABLEconf has a call for presentations going out this week. We added LinuxJournal as a media sponsor. Meetings in IRC every Sunday at 20:00, the hour before the loco meeting. http://www.ABLEconf.com/participate
Read the whole thing at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam/Newsletters/09August19